Skip to main content

Degu Home Decor

The girls have settled down a little since I got them on Friday so while they were snoozing earlier this morning I took the opportunity to take some photos of their degu home decor.

Bottom Section - Grass Hammock

If you've read some of my Cage Build Posts you'll know that the cage is built in 2 parts, a bottom & top section, for easier moveability. The bottom floor of the bottom section is the digging pit. My aim is to make this as natural looking as possible. It is filled with around 15cm of wood shavings and some hay. I've used horse wood shavings as the shavings are large and allows the degus to burrow when mixed with the hay.

Underground Hideout

They have an underground area which is a hay tunnel sunk down in to the wood shavings. If you can't find one of the girls the first place to look is here because they love playing in it. You can also see a few willow branches. I got a bundle of 20 of these from B&Q for £6.99. They're about 50cm long and supposed to be supports for peas. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with them yet but I did bake them in the oven on 160F for about 15 minutes first just to kill anything that may have been inside them.

Knobbly branch

The bottom also has a knobbly branch which I bought from the reptile section. It's been sand-blasted but still adds a nice natural look. When the weather decides to stop raining I'll go out and about and see if I can find any large rocks that I can use.

Cork Log - Hollow inside

On the next floor up they have a wooden bridge turned in to a tunnel and a cork tunnel. They were all snoozing in a ball of hay beside the cork tunnel this morning which was very cute! I took this photo yesterday so no 'goo pile' to see unfortunately.

Top section - 2 levels, nest box, wheel, chiller shelf, food and water

The top section of the cage is a feeding and exercise area. It was supposed to be the nesting area too as I bought them a 2 storey log cabin to nest in. They seem to prefer stashing food in there instead and sleeping down in the lower levels. Makes sense I suppose as they are burrowing creatures. You can just see one of the girls eating from the food dish in the bottom corner. :)

This section of the cage has a full base (with entry hole), a half level which houses the wheel and a small chiller shelf which is covered with terracotta floor tiles. Unfortunately I couldn't get it in shot but you can see the wooden walkway leading up to it in the top right corner of the photo.

All of the levels can be accessed by a series of wooden bridges and ladders like the ones in the photos above. It took them about a day to get used to everything but they're zooming around the place now making a right old racket as they clatter about and chatter to each other.

Next step? Getting them used to people. At the minute they either sniff a finger and run or hide away until you've gone. Don't blame them to be honest. The last human hand they saw scooped them up and shoved them in a box!

Comments

  1. NightwishRaven99916 December 2012 at 13:11

    Lisa, this is wonderful work !

    You should consider helping our cause by participating in the Degus International Forum.

    Hope to see you there with us,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Degus Have Moved In

This morning 3 little degus became the newest members of my family and they're the 3 cutest girls ever! I was up until midnight filling and dressing their cage ready for them to move in and they are loving it. 2 of them still think that there are only 2 floors and not 4, and all 3 have spent most of the day running in their wheel. Just before I settled down to write this they were all in a 'goo pile' on top of their cabin. It's a little dark in the room for a decent photo and I don't want to use the flash so I'll have to wait until there's a little more light to get a photo of them huddled together. They are all still a little flighty and scared of the camera but I managed to get a few decent photos of them. Don't have any names yet as I'm waiting to see what kind of personalities they have. My brother wants to call them Penny, Amy, and Bernadette… The Big Degu Theory! UPDATE — Here's a little video my brother recorded. :)

The Big Degu Cage Build - Part Ten

It's almost 7PM and I'm not finished. At 5:30PM, while hanging the doors, I realized that there were no more screws of the correct size left and the shop would be shut before I got there. So I have only the top doors hung. Before bed I'm going to finish the inside by adding branches, bridges, ramps, ladders and other accessories. Then I'll fill it with wood shavings and hay ready for my new family members. Tomorrow I'll be outside waiting for Wilkinsons to open so I can get some more screws before I go to the pet store and my dad will kindly hang the remaining doors while I'm out. Hopefully they won't have sold out of degus before I get to the pet store.