Skip to main content

The Big Degu Cage Build - Part Nine

I only have one day left to try and get my cage complete if I want to get my degus on Friday. My helper (brother) has urgent work to do for clients so I've been left on my own to finish it off.

Shelf covered with ceramic tiles to help keep degus cool

Despite being on my own I got quite a lot done today. I made a chiller shelf from an old pine shelf, timber offcuts and a few ceramic floor tiles. This will help keep the degus cool as the room they will be in is a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

I also managed to lightly sand and varnish the interior one last time. This will help protect from anything that might get on the walls and it'll be wipe clean. The outside of the cage is also a lovely shade of 'sand' and purple to match the room.

Vinyl tiles on shelf to help protect MDF from degu pee

I also managed to to lay all of my vinyl tiles on the base and shelves but annoyingly I'm 2 tiles short so I'm going to have to buy some more of them tomorrow.

Ironically I have pretty much all of the accessories and essentials to go in the cage. I bought a huge 20kg bag of horse wood shavings, a bag of degu pellets, and a reptile branch earlier today. I've already got a water bottle, wheel, tunnels, hammocks, grass balls, and other play things. There's only Timothy Hay and a few other bits and bobs to get.

Just hoping I get finished in time. Tomorrow I have to attach the brackets to support the shelves, fix the mess guards to the fronts of the shelves and to holes between levels, hang the doors, attach bolts to the doors, screw in loads of eyelets so that I can attach the water bottle, bridges and ladders, tidy up the painting on the outside, and then fill it with wood shavings, bedding and all the accessories!

Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. I have to ask what type of sealant did you use to lay the tiles onto the wood? I've been trying to think of a good solution, but have been getting mixed opinions and results. Any insight would be appreciated! This blog has been so ver helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

    I used an ordinary pva based wood glue to stick the ceramic tiles down and only put it in the center of the tile, I didn't put anything between. I've since removed the tiles though and turned it back into a normal shelf. They were using it to wee on rather than as a 'chill' shelf... it was starting to gathering wee and wet straw between the tiles and was hard to clean. Now I just put a tile in the fridge if it's going to be warm and just put it in the cage somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dozing Degus

I can't believe I've had my degus for a month tomorrow. I've been a little busy with work this past week but I thought I'd take time out to share a little video my brother took of the girls chillaxing on Saturday afternoon. About 30 seconds in I open the door for a better view. Enjoy!

Degu Versus the Wooden Wheels

When I bought wooden exercise wheels for my 3 girls I knew I was taking a gamble. Degus love to chew wood but in the back of my mind I was hoping that they'd realize that wheel destruction meant no running. After all, they are rather intelligent little rodents. Close up of damage After 6 months of little to no interest in chewing the wheels I thought I was on to a winner and had the only non-destructive degus in the world. This afternoon, after a morning out walking I came home to wheel destruction. Degu damage to Wooden Exercise Wheels 4 hours earlier they weren't particularly bad. Just some light gnawing around the edges and on the stands. Now they resemble something that's been, quite literally, blown apart by a grenade. It's like they woke up this morning and thought, "Right, degus. We're going to start chewing these wheels and we're not going to stop until they're gone!" It's a good job I didn't pay full price for the ...

The Degus Have Moved In

This morning 3 little degus became the newest members of my family and they're the 3 cutest girls ever! I was up until midnight filling and dressing their cage ready for them to move in and they are loving it. 2 of them still think that there are only 2 floors and not 4, and all 3 have spent most of the day running in their wheel. Just before I settled down to write this they were all in a 'goo pile' on top of their cabin. It's a little dark in the room for a decent photo and I don't want to use the flash so I'll have to wait until there's a little more light to get a photo of them huddled together. They are all still a little flighty and scared of the camera but I managed to get a few decent photos of them. Don't have any names yet as I'm waiting to see what kind of personalities they have. My brother wants to call them Penny, Amy, and Bernadette… The Big Degu Theory! UPDATE — Here's a little video my brother recorded. :)