Skip to main content

Let the Degu Taming Commence

My girls have been a part of the family for 5 days now. I left them alone for the first 2 days to let them get used to their new surroundings but now that's over I've started to tame my degu girls.

They are already quite a curious bunch of degus anyway and like to play the "sniff-and-run" game by cautiously approaching new things, sniffing it, then promptly running for cover. On Sunday I started placing my arm in the cage at random intervals throughout the day for about 20-30 minutes. I placed my hand palm down on the floor and just stood there, quietly talking to any degu which would come to investigate. I was quite surprised by how quickly they became trusting of my hand and by nightfall yesterday, they were all quite comfortably sitting on the back of my hand as they munched on their food.

I don't have names yet (my brother still wants a Big Bang Theory theme) but I have temporarily called them Nosy Rosie, Noisy Annie, and the other one, so that I know who's who and which ones are progressing with the taming.

Nosy Rosie the Degu eating grass

Nosy Rosie is the bravest of the degus and was the first to let me gently stroke her side as she ate, but only while keeping my palm face down and my hand flat on the floor. The other degus would run if I just twitched a finger. Today, however, she is taking food from my fingers. I think the fact that it is fresh grass helps as a bit of bribery. Tomorrow I'm going to get some dandelion and oat treats to try those as a bribe… I mean, taming aid.

Noisy Annie & Nosy Rosie the degus enjoying some grass

I've noticed that once one degu plucks up the courage to do something the others tend to follow soon after. After about 10 minutes I had both Nosy Rosie and Noisy Annie taking the grass from my hand. Unfortunately, the other one had decided she wasn't interested and sat in a huff down in the lower levels. If a degu doesn't want to do something don't force them is the motto. Hopefully she'll want to play tomorrow.

Nosy Rosie ran off with her grass!

Before I came to the computer I checked on them to see what they were up to and immediately, the 2 who were eating grass came to the front of the cage to see if I had any more. I heard they were fast learners but surely not this fast? I think they know they're on to a good thing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Degus Have Moved In

This morning 3 little degus became the newest members of my family and they're the 3 cutest girls ever! I was up until midnight filling and dressing their cage ready for them to move in and they are loving it. 2 of them still think that there are only 2 floors and not 4, and all 3 have spent most of the day running in their wheel. Just before I settled down to write this they were all in a 'goo pile' on top of their cabin. It's a little dark in the room for a decent photo and I don't want to use the flash so I'll have to wait until there's a little more light to get a photo of them huddled together. They are all still a little flighty and scared of the camera but I managed to get a few decent photos of them. Don't have any names yet as I'm waiting to see what kind of personalities they have. My brother wants to call them Penny, Amy, and Bernadette… The Big Degu Theory! UPDATE — Here's a little video my brother recorded. :)

Degu Home Decor

The girls have settled down a little since I got them on Friday so while they were snoozing earlier this morning I took the opportunity to take some photos of their degu home decor. Bottom Section - Grass Hammock If you've read some of my Cage Build Posts you'll know that the cage is built in 2 parts, a bottom & top section, for easier moveability. The bottom floor of the bottom section is the digging pit. My aim is to make this as natural looking as possible. It is filled with around 15cm of wood shavings and some hay. I've used horse wood shavings as the shavings are large and allows the degus to burrow when mixed with the hay. Underground Hideout They have an underground area which is a hay tunnel sunk down in to the wood shavings. If you can't find one of the girls the first place to look is here because they love playing in it. You can also see a few willow branches. I got a bundle of 20 of these from B&Q for £6.99. They're about 50cm long a

The Big Degu Cage Build - Part Ten

It's almost 7PM and I'm not finished. At 5:30PM, while hanging the doors, I realized that there were no more screws of the correct size left and the shop would be shut before I got there. So I have only the top doors hung. Before bed I'm going to finish the inside by adding branches, bridges, ramps, ladders and other accessories. Then I'll fill it with wood shavings and hay ready for my new family members. Tomorrow I'll be outside waiting for Wilkinsons to open so I can get some more screws before I go to the pet store and my dad will kindly hang the remaining doors while I'm out. Hopefully they won't have sold out of degus before I get to the pet store.